Application Study Programmes
The Postgraduate Study Programme "International Health" is open for applicants worldwide. Applications from low- and middle-income countries are particularly encouraged!
You are here:
Applications for the following study programmes are open from 1st January to 31st March (late applications may be considered - see below):
- Master’s programme in International Health
- Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Public Health (DTMPH)
- Diploma in International Public Health (DIPH)
- Core Course as guest student
If you are interested in applying but wouldn't be able to submit the application before the deadline, please contact MScIH-Student[at]charite.de.
Who can apply? – Minimum entry requirements
Graduates from all backgrounds relevant to International Health are encouraged to apply. This includes medical doctors, nurses, midwives, health scientists, pharmacists, dentists, veterinarians, nutritionists, biologists, social scientists, psychologists, economists, health educators, health programme managers etc.
Minimum entry requirements for admission:
- Completion of a 3-year Bachelor's programme or equivalent (180 ECTS credits) in a health-related field or relevant health-related professional experience
- Proof of English Proficiency
- MScIH programme applicants additionally require at least one year professional experience after their first qualifying degree (usually the Bachelor’s degree). For admission any professional experience is fine. This is a general requirement for postgraduate studies in Germany. Relevant professional experience (i.e. professional experience gained in low- and middle-income countries) is a programme specific requirement that can still be obtained during the studies and that has to be proven in order to graduate. More information about the Relevant Professional Experience is available here.
How to apply? – Documents to be submitted
To apply, you need to submit your complete application in the correct order (1 to 8)
- as pdf attachments by email to MScIH-Student[at]charite.de and in addition,
- as hardcopies by postal mail to:
Institute of Tropical Medicine and International Health, Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Postgraduate Study Programme “International Health”
Campus Virchow-Klinikum, Augustenburger Platz 1, Interne Geländeadresse: Südring 3B
D-13353 Berlin, Germany
- Only complete applications will be considered.
- If originals are double-sided, please scan and copy both sides.
- A certified copy is a copy of an original document that bears the original (“wet”) official stamp or seal and the original (“wet”) signature of the person who certifies that the copy is identical to the original. A certified copy is a legal document. Even though we do not run applications through uni-assist, the German organisation has a very helpful guide explaining what a certified copy is. You can find the guide here.
Documents to be submitted for application
1. Application form. Page 1 and 2 of the application form with a passport photograph on page 1 in the upper right hand corner
Name of the pdf: 01_Lastname_Application.pdf
2. Curriculum vitae. Typed CV in Europass Format.
Name of the pdf: 02_Lastname_CV.pdf
Two certified copies of all diplomas awarding relevant university degrees by postal mail
(originals may need to be presented upon matriculation!)
One certified copy of all diplomas awarding relevant university degrees as pdf file.
Name of the pdf: 03_Lastname_1_Degree_Diploma.pdf
3b. Academic Transcripts.
Two certified copies of all official academic transcripts by postal mail
(originals may need to be presented upon matriculation!)
- If your transcript notes: “Invalid if handled by student” please ask your university to send one original transcript directly to us (often mentioned on transcripts from Nigeria, Ethiopia and other African countries).
- Please make sure to enclose the grading system of your transcript.
- German Medical Doctors: Please send: „Zeugnis über die Ärztliche Prüfung“
One certified copy of all official academic transcripts as pdf file.
Name of the pdf: 03_Lastname_1_Degree_Transcript.pdf
If you have several diplomas awarding relevant university degrees please arrange them in the following order:
If items no. 3a and 3b were issued in languages other than English or German, a certified copy of the original and a certified translation into English or German by a certified translator must be submitted.
4. Motivation letter. Signed letter of motivation stating why you would like to attend the above-mentioned course and how this course will help you in your work and career (not longer than 1 page, to be submitted both hand-written and typed).
Please note: This statement should not repeat what your CV or transcripts are stating. It should only explain your personal motivation for attending the MScIH programme (or any of the other study programme - DTMPH course, DIPH course or Core Course as guest student), your professional goals, your personal career objectives and how this course will help you in achieving them.
Name of the pdf: 04_Lastname_Motivation.pdf
5. English proficiency. Proof of proficiency in English, e.g. TOEFL (550 paper / 213 internet / 80 online), IELTS (6+), DAAD (A or B in all categories) test score.
- Native speakers of English do not need to submit proof.
- Students who have completed a university degree that was taught in English in an English-speaking country (e.g. the United Kingdom, the U.S., Canada etc.) need only submit their degree certificate.
- Candidates from Botswana, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Nigeria, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda only need to enclose a certificate by the Dean of Studies of their previous university confirming that their entire tertiary education was conducted in English.
Name of the pdf: 05_Lastname_English.pdf
6. Funding situation. Please submit proof by bank statement that you have enough funds to start your studies (minimum 5.000 EUR) make sure that the currency is mentioned on the statement. If you are sponsored by your employer or were awarded a scholarship, please enclose a copy of the official notification. If a private person sponsors you, please send proof by his/her bank statement and a signed confirmation letter.
Name of the pdf: 06_Lastname_Funding.pdf
7. Passport. Two copies of your passport (only the page with the picture and your name).
Name of the pdf: 07_Lastname_passport.pdf
8. Passport Photograph. By postal mail only: Please send 1 passport photograph in addition to the one on the application form (passport-size).
x. If you already have professional experience in the health sector in low- or middle-income countries (see OECD list here) please prove by attaching relevant work certificates which must be issued on an official letterhead, contain the exact dates of the work period, a description of the main tasks and confirming that you worked fulltime (or how many hours per week). Professional experience counts only if acquired after completion of your first degree.
x. If you have already a student visa, please send a copy
x. If you have studied already in Germany: “Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung der Universität”
x. For students from EU European Union only: If you have sufficient Health insurance already, please send a proof.
x. If you changed your name since your degree, please send an official proof.
Name of optional document pdfs:
What happens after the application?
Once we have received your application, you can expect a confirmation via Email within a few days. After we have screened your application for completion, complete application will be forwarded to the Committee of Admission and Degrees (CAD) for evaluation. Usually between 4 to 6 weeks after closure of the application deadline, we notify the applicants via Email about the outcome the application, that means whether your application was successful or not, or whether you’re on the waiting list.
We regret that we are unable to return application documents by postal mail.