DAAD Scholarship for Master of Science in International Health
Candidates from developing countries with at least two years of work experience (obtained after completion of the first degree or first professional qualification) and a Bachelor's Degree with honours (240ECTS/4 years) or equivalent are eligible for a DAAD scholarship (German Academic Exchange Service). DAAD scholarship holders follow a study track with limited flexibility, which consists of:
- Tropical Medicine and Public Health (core course)
- Advanced Vaccinology
- Designing Managing Evaluating Projects
- Health Economics in Berlin
- further advanced modules in Berlin, Bergen/Norway, or Heidelberg/Germany, and the thesis phase in Khon Kaen/Thailand or the National Institute of Public Health in Mexico.
You are here:
If you would like to apply for a DAAD scholarship, please submit the following documents as hard-copies in the following order:
1. Application for Research Grants and Study Scholarships: official DAAD application form
2. hand-signed CV (please use the Europass format
3. hand-signed letter of motivation (with reference to current occupation) (max. one page)
4. research proposal for a suggested Master thesis project – please note that your research proposal for the DAAD application is in no way binding in terms of your thesis project for our programme. This proposal will just help us to assess your application. Given that DAAD scholarship holders follow a pre-defined track and will therefore undertake their research Project either at Khon Kaen University (Thailand) or at National Institute of Public Health in Mexico, thesis topics will only be discussed with the DAAD candidate once they have been accepted into our programme. For the DAAD application, please draft.
4. academic letter(s) of recommendation from your university; the letter must have a signature and office stamp and must be of recent date (not in a sealed envelope)
5. professional letter(s) of recommendation from your employer; the letter must have a signature and office stamp and must be of recent date (not in a sealed envelope)
6. confirmation of employment from the employer in your home country and, if possible, a guarantee of re-employment upon your return home.
7. proof of language abilities:
English – IELTS or TOEFL (Note: Institutional TOEFL will not be accepted)
Candidates from Botswana, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Nigeria, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda only need to enclose a certificate by the Dean of Studies of their previous university confirming that their entire tertiary education was conducted in English. No further exemptions!
8. certified copies of awarded academic degrees
9. certified copies of academic transcripts
10. certified copy of school leaving certificate.
These documents must be submitted as hard-copies to our institute by 15 October of the year prior to the start of the programme:
Institute of Tropical Medicine & International Health
Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
DAAD Project Coordinator
Master Programme in International Health
Candidates from the People's Republic of China are required to submit an APS Certificate, as well as two address labels written in Chinese characters with their application.
For more information see the Master of Science in International Health-description in the DAAD booklet Development-Related Postgraduate Courses.
For detailed information on the prerequisites and requirements for a DAAD scholarship, please see the DAAD Website.