Postgraduate Study Programme
Scholarships are available through the DAAD.
They are awarded on a highly competitive basis.
Candidates from developing countries with at least two years of work experience (obtained after completion of the first degree or first professional qualification) and a Bachelors degree with honours (240ECTS / 4 years) or equivalent are eligible for a DAAD scholarship (German Academic Exchange Service). DAAD scholarship holders follow a study track with limited flexibility, which consists of:
further advanced modules in Berlin, Antwerp/Belgium, Bergen/Norway, or Heidelberg/Germany,
and the thesis phase in Khon Kaen/Thailand or Manila/Philippines.
If you would like to apply for a DAAD scholarship, please submit the following documents as hard-copies in the following order:
1. official DAAD application form: https://www.daad.de/imperia/md/content/en/deutschland/formulare/forschungsstipendium_en.pdf
2. hand-signed CV (please use the Europass format: http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/home)
3. hand-signed letter of motivation (with reference to current occupation) (max. 1 page)
4. research proposal for a suggested Master thesis project – please note that your research proposal for the DAAD application is in no way binding in terms of your thesis project for our programme. This proposal will just help us to assess your application.
Given that DAAD scholarship holders follow a pre-defined track and will therefore undertake their research Project either at Khon Kaen University (Thailand) or at Ateneo de Manila University (Philippines) thesis topics will only be discussed with the DAAD candidate once they have been accepted into our programme.
For the DAAD application, please draft.
5. academic letter(s) of recommendation from your university; the letter must have a signature and office stamp and must be of recent date (not in a sealed envelope)
6. professional letter(s) of recommendation from your employer; the letter must have a signature and office stamp and must be of recent date (not in a sealed envelope)
7. confirmation of employment from the employer in your home country and, if possible, a guarantee of re-employment upon your return home.
8. proof of language abilities:
9. certified copies of awarded academic degrees
10. certified copies of academic transcripts
11. school leaving certificate
These documents must be submitted as hard-copies to our institute by 15 October of the year prior to the start of the programme:
Institute of Tropical Medicine & International Health
Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Campus Virchow Klinikum
DAAD Project Coordinator
Master Programme in International Health
Please note that applicants from Cameroon must submit their application via the German Embassy in their home country (please contact the German Embassy in time regarding information about the deadlines). Candidates from the People’s Republic of China are required to submit an APS Certificate, as well as 2 address labels written in Chinese characters with their application.
For more information see the MScIH description in the DAAD booklet “Development-Related Postgraduate Courses”. For detailed information on the prerequisites and requirements for a DAAD scholarship, please see the DAAD website.